We Appreciate Our Highway Heroes – Thank You, Truck Drivers!
2018 National Truck Driver Appreciation Week
Today kicks off National Truck Driver Appreciation Week (September 9-15), a celebration of the 3.5 million professional truck drivers in the United States. Because of the hard work and dedication of these men and women, goods are delivered securely and our highways are kept safe – and we’re truly grateful for all that they do!
The American Trucking Association recently released some data that highlights why truck drivers are the backbone of the U.S. economy. Here are some of the latest stats:
- In 2018, trucks moved 10.77 billion tons of freight
- This makes up 70.2% of all domestic freight tonnage
- The industry generated $700.1 billion in annual revenue in 2017
- Truck drivers moved 69.1% of all trade between the U.S. and Mexico and 57.7% of Canadian-U.S. trade
- Roughly 7.7 million people are employed in jobs related to trucking activity (including 3.5 million drivers)
- Of those 3.5 million drivers, there are 1.7 million heavy and tractor-trailer drivers
Stay tuned here on Logistically Speaking and on our social media channels this week (Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn) – we’ll be hosting our 2018 Carrier Symposium, and will share photos and updates on how we’re honoring our highway heroes throughout the week.
We thank you, American truckers, for your hard work, dedication and long hours on the roads!
How are you showing truck drivers your appreciation this week?
 American Trucking Association, New Report Finds Trucking Industry Revenues Topped $700 Billion