Transportation TIP List: Week of October 7th, 2018
This Monday, Canada observed Thanksgiving – an annual holiday that has taken place since 1879. And with that holiday top of mind, our TIP List this week showcases a generous portion of industry trends; including an update on the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement and a look at how technology will help retailers this holiday season. Dig into the full plate of stories below!
- Making the Case for Managed Transportation Services: It’s a trucker’s market right now, and as freight continues to move into the boardroom at a rapid pace, more shippers are turning to transportation management services to help them navigate challenges, save money and improve overall supply chain visibility.
- From Reindeer to Robots, Automation is Set to Deliver This Holiday Season: Never mind the reindeer and elves: this year, robots are helping deliver the holidays. Retailers and logistics operators are bringing robotics and AI to distribution centers to move online orders at a faster pace in a tight labor market.
- What the United-States-Mexico-Canada Agreement Means for the Trucking Industry: After long negotiations, the U.S., Mexico and Canada have reached a deal that will replace NAFTA. Now called the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), the updated agreement addresses some trucking-related issues, including cross-border and cabotage.
- Record Imports Push U.S. Trade Gap to $53.2 Billion in August: The Commerce Department recently said that the trade gap — the difference between what America sells and what it buys abroad — rose to $53.2 billion in August from $50 billion in July. The August reading was the highest since February.
- AI in Supply Chain Management: It’s Only As Good As Your Data: AI is impacting every industry, including supply chain management. And while many companies have access to nearly unlimited data, just having the information is not enough to improve a supply chain. Instead, businesses can leverage AI to use this data and make actionable decisions – faster, smarter and cheaper.
Is your supply chain leveraging managed transportation services?