Transportation TIP List: Week of November 25th, 2018
With Thanksgiving and Black Friday last week and Cyber Monday and Giving Tuesday this week, it’s clear that the winter holidays are off to a great start! And our TIP List this week highlights a surplus of supply chain and transportation trends to keep your spirits bright. Below, you can unwrap all the featured stories – including the numbers from the Thanksgiving retail surge and the current state of logistics outsourcing.
- Black Friday Delivers Strong Retail Results: The “retail renaissance” continued its momentum this Thanksgiving Weekend. The International Council of Shopping Centers found that an estimated 151 million people visited a mall or shopping center over the holiday weekend.
- Black Friday, Cyber Monday Sales Hit Another High, But It’s Not Time To Celebrate Yet: On Cyber Monday, American consumers were on track to spend $7.8 billion and make it the biggest online shopping day in U.S. history, according to Adobe Analytics. However, there’s more to take away than those rosy online headlines.
- The State of Logistics Outsourcing: In an era where technology continues to migrate consumer spending habits online and away from brick-and-mortar stores, the Inbound Logistics 2019 3PL Study highlights how supply chains are also going digital and using science to keep pace.
- October Intermodal Volumes Turn in Solid Performance, Reports IANA: Total intermodal volume for the month of October was at 1,690,668 and rose 6.1% annually. Domestic containers saw the highest rate of growth in October, rising 6.9% to 729,604. Trailers headed up 4.1% to 123,371, with all domestic equipment (trailers and containers) up 6.5% to 852,975.
- Contract Pricing Power of U.S. Truckload Carriers Seen Easing: Capacity is balancing out, and it’s not nearly as difficult to find a truck as it was in January or February, according to a new survey from Citi Research. The budget-busting spot markets, which reached unprecedented levels earlier this year, no longer cost a shipper more than a contractual truckload haul.
What transportation trends are you paying attention to this holiday season?