Transportation TIP List: Week of July 7th, 2019
We’re over halfway through 2019 and there has already been a number of memorable moments and highlights. And with Q3 underway, our TIP List is here with the latest industry trends to help keep you in the know for the rest of the year. Featured articles range from HOS rule changes to recent shipping challenges at the border crossing in Laredo, Texas – read on for more news on what’s impacting transportation.
- Rising U.S.-Mexico Trade Squeezes Laredo Truck Capacity: A lack of available capacity is making it more difficult for Mexican exporters to find trucks to transport loads across the U.S. border. Moving freight through the border crossing in Laredo, Texas, may not be as difficult as it was in May, but it is no less complicated.
- FMCSA’s Proposed HOS Changes Now Expected July 31: The highly anticipated hours-of-service rule changes are now scheduled for publication on July 31, according to the Department of Transportation’s latest report on significant rulemakings. It was originally scheduled for June 7.
- Class 8 Orders Come In at 13,000 for June as Freight Movement Slows: June orders for North American Class 8 trucks were down 69% from last June – not a totally surprising plunge given the tough comparison to the sales environment created by the 2018 freight boom.
- U.S. Spring Trucking Surge Arrives Late: Truckload dry-van spot rates in the U.S during June hit their highest point since January, rising to $1.89 per mile on average, according to DAT Solutions. But those spot rates remained about 18% below year-ago prices, another signal suggesting a subdued and shortened spring peak for U.S. trucking companies.
- Transforming Your Supply Chain Through Digital Network Platforms: Industry leaders today view the supply chain as more than a linear set of point-to-point connections across business functions. The reality is that today’s supply chains are being fundamentally transformed, and disruptive new capabilities are emerging.
What trends are you following during the second half of the year?